In a previous post I talked about how there is no magic diet and I wanted to add a little bit of perspective to that notion. While it’s important for your health that your body isn’t carrying too much fat, it’s not the be-all and end-all. How much fat you carry doesn’t define you as a person. It doesn’t make you nicer or nastier, successful or unsuccessful, intelligent or unintelligent.
Don’t worry, be happy
Weight loss and healthy eating can consume people’s lives, so there’s no joy. If you’re ‘on a diet’ you’ll be thinking of food more, and often more negatively since most diets either deprive you of all the things you love or frame them wonkily.
If you’re intent on always eating healthily it can impact your mood and calmness when you can’t do it and there’ll always be a level of food anxiety. But food should be loved, and be a source of daily happiness.
So next time you eat something you think you shouldn’t, or you have a meal out with three courses, or the scales don’t show the number you’re after, take a step back and think the following:
- I’m alive, my heart is beating, my lungs are breathing, my legs move, my eyes see, I have freedom!
- These are the reasons I’m likeable/loveable….(list them out loud, unless you’re on the bus, oh go on then!)
- Here are the brilliant things I can do and experience that are entirely unaffected by what I eat or how I think I look….
- This isn’t unchangeable. If I want to change, I can, but I’ll still be me either way. I don’t actually have to change.
- What really meaningful things would be better if I lost weight? (Aside from health, chances are it’s not that many).
- How can I enjoy today without worrying about food; what happy things can I do?
Now, of course I’m not trying to dissuade you from being healthy, far from it, I want you to be the healthiest you can be so you can live a long and happy life.
What I’m saying is try not to stress over food. That’s why our eatnaturally plan doesn’t talk about calories or minutiae, it just gives you lots of gorgeous food options with time to live your life between meals, without having to think too much about it.
Hey – I can see you smiling 😀
Now go on, go away and do something nice xx
Allow yourself to enjoy each happy moment in your life.