Eating a rainbow of colours in your meals is an easy way to ramp up the nutrient value as well as adding heaps of flavour and interest. I tried to squeeze as many colours as I could into this delicious tuna niçoise salad. The egg was straight from my hens and I grew the spuds in a bucket in the garden. Smile happy rainbows after eating this and the world will smile with you :-) This is quite a large salad so get properly hungry with a nice walk first!
colour me healthy tuna niçoise
- 2 large leaves of cos lettuce, shredded
- half a red and half an orange pepper, finely diced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100g of sweetcorn
- little bit of red cabbage, finely shredded and chopped
- 3cm of cucumber, finely chopped
- any fresh herbs, I used parsley and mint, chopped
- 1 fresh free range organic egg, boiled
- 150g of tinned tuna in oil
- a few very small new potatoes, boiled
- couple of large glugs of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- sea salt
- course ground black pepper
Shake together the oil, vinegar and mayo in a lidded jam jar. Then combine everything in a bowl except the herbs, black pepper and eggs. Halve the egg and place it on top and finish with the scattered herbs.
The colourful salad and vegetables here will give you loads of antioxidant vitamins. The tuna, egg and olive oil will give you good fats to help restore the balance between omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids and help ward off inflammation and promote brain health. Quality protein will help you build and repair as well as keeping you full.