It's true that the simple things are best. This Tuscan salad is so satisfying and bursting with bright flavours, you can add feta and black olives for more of a Greek vibe but it's fantastic as it is. It's perfect for using up ends of loaves (not your plastic bread but the real mccoy like sourdough) and improves if left to develop for 20-30 mins. I actually don't measure anything, I just throw in what looks right!
Serves: 1 • Prep: 5-10 mins • Easy
- 75g of real bread, torn into chunks, I use wholegrain sourdough (few days old)
- 1 ripe beef tomato chopped into bitesize irregular chunks
- about 2 inches of cucumber chopped into bitesize chunks
- half a small red onion, thinly sliced
- a few basil leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- sea salt
- black pepper
Simply combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, leave to stand for 20 mins (optional), transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!
Vitamins: A, C, E, B1, B2. B3. B6, B9, folate. Minerals: Calcium, iron. magnesium, copper, selenium, zinc, potassium