- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced, I used a yellow onion but red is good too
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 level teaspoon of chilli flakes or a finely chopped fresh red chilli
- 1 level teaspoon of sugar
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 500ml of hot vegetable stock, homemade or use a Kallo/organic stock cube
- 200ml full fat coconut milk
- 400g or a normal size tin of cannellini beans
- sea salt and black pepper to serve
Gently fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil and add the sugar after a couple of minutes, then the chilli.
Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and heat through.
Add the stock and stir everything together, then simmer on low for 5-10 mins.
Add a third of the beans and heat through for a couple of minutes.
Place the soup in a food mixer with the cutting blade, and blitz until slightly less chunky but retain some chunkiness! Make sure you use the mixer safely – cover the lid with a tea towel when blending, to save getting covered in hot tommy soup.
Serve in some nice bowls (if food is nicely presented it kinda seems more special and edible!) and divide the rest of the cannellini beans between bowls.
Add more seasoning with salt and black pepper to taste, if you want!
You can vary the soup in the following ways:
- Fry some chopped streaky bacon or pancetta with the onions and garlic.
- Add ginger and turmeric.
- Serve with crumbled feta or torn mozzarella.